9/13/2008

Disjointed

Well, it has been almost three weeks that I have been home. Certain things are coming together, others not.

The weather difference. The two-story house. The cats, no dog. Long work days.

Different church. Different language.

I had promised myself that I would incorporate the good behaviors that I had learned in Sudan.

It is harder than I expected.

Since I have been back, I had to have Miss Kitty put to sleep. Her kidneys had stopped functioning.

Rough re-entry.

And, I have the answer about my shoulder injury. Torn tendons around my rotator cuff. Surgery is scheduled for Oct. 15. Ouch. Pain at night disturbs sleep.

Rough re-entry.

Today, I played in the front gardens. Weeding, clipping back bushes, dead heading black-eyed susans. I filled four garbage cans with leaves, branches, etc. It felt really good to dig in the dirt and grass. Muddy hands and feet.

Yesterday, I traveled to NYC to meet with individuals in the mission department of the Episcopal Church. More about that to follow later.

The pace in the states is so much faster than I remembered, even overwhelming.

Here, I have to drive. The area I live and work in is so much larger than in Sudan. Phone calls rather than email. No pacing of response time.

Here, I worry about those I left behind in Sudan and those I live with in the states.

However, I know that each day it will get better.


Right?

No comments: