9/09/2008

Judi's Big Adventure

The last Tuesday prior to leaving Sudan was the day of my last big adventure, and here is the catalyst.


That day, I asked Tito to take me driving down Street 41. I wanted to take pictures of all the entrance gates that I viewed each day on my way home. Twenty minutes tops and I would buy him lunch.

Food. Works every time.

So off we go, camera, wallet, phone. Tito driving and me snapping away. My plan is to make up 2009 Calendars featuring these architectural designs. I will sell them as fundraisers to support All Saints Cathedral in Khartoum.

As you can see, I managed to capture the side view mirror and Tito's profile.




Cropping is a learned skill.



So, we are casually moving down the street when we get to the point where the picture at the top was taken.

I had been passing these cobalt blue gates/fence with the wonderful flower gardens for four months. Everything yelled at me to "Take my Picture".

So, I did. Snap and then walked down the street to where Tito was waiting for me in the car. This was the last picture and I asked what he wanted to eat and where. But, instead of answering my question he says "Uh, Oh."

"What?"

"We are in trouble." "Why?"

"I think it is the camera." "What?" "Why?"

Then, this gentleman appears at my window, another at Tito's window and motions him to back up into the side street and park.

"Why?" No answer.

"Why?" No answer for me, one for Tito. This happened twice, till the answer hit me over the head.

Me man, you woman. You woman do not exist.

Ok. I have to admit, I was not afraid, nor intimidated. Maybe I should have been, but I was annoyed. Who are these guys?

Well, it appears that they work at the Saudi Arabian Embassy, located conveniently to my right.

Oops.
(Disclaimer: Please do not try this at home.)

The discussion centers around me showing them the last picture that I took. I show them the picture of the garden.

Not that picture, the last picture. This is the last picture. Where is the picture of the embassy.

No picture of the embassy.

Well, by now I am annoyed. So, I deliberately yet casually mention that I am an American citizen and extract my passport from my purse, mentioning that I thought our two countries had good relations. In fact, so good, that our president holds hands with one of your princes.

Yep, I was that annoyed.

Well, that worked so well, that we proceeded to add two additional passengers to the car. One Saudi Embassy employee and a gentleman dressed in fatigues carrying an AK47.

Ok, now throw in bewildered and anxious to annoyed.

As the car moves along and I ask where we are going, I get no comments. Just a lot of conversation in Arabic that only Tito understands. Time to call in the troops.

I retrieve the "business card" that I received when I checked in with the US Embassy when I arrived in Khartoum.

I placed the phone call, letting them know what was going on and receiving some information about what to expect. Detainment, possibly for a couple of hours, possible removal of the entire disk or confiscation of my camera.

Yikes, all this for taking a picture of blue gates. This is so far out of my reality.

At the end of the day, the Saudi embassy employee is disappointed. The one-star general has been verbally chastised. The two star general is another thing.

This two-star general began his conversation with me by wondering who I am voting for in the upcoming election. The twilight zone continues.

That question is followed with ones regarding America's role in slavery, America's attacks on innocent nations, and a statement about the most used words in Americas language. Words, that not only do I not use on a day to day basis, but words that I cannot print here.

Oh...........Kay.

Obviously, I should keep my mouth shut. Equally as obvious, my family and friends know that I did not.

To the question about slavery, I deferred to him since he was in uniform and carrying a gun.

To the question about attacking innocent nations, I deferred to him since he was in uniform and still carrying a gun.

To the statment about American language, that I did not defer. After disagreeing with him, I asked him if his confrontational attitude was just for me, an American woman, or was he always like this. He actually smiled and said that it was his personality.

He smiled. The twilight zone continues.

When I mentioned that it did not seem fair that his impression about America would be affecting his decision about my leaving, he told me that he was not part of the discussion, he merely wanted to have a conversation with me.

He than asked me my age. My age.

What the heck.

So I told him. And, he told me that I was still young.

Then, he asked me if I wanted to have coffee with him.

Hello?

I told him that it would only be possible if he were out of uniform and not carrying a weapon. (My mother always taught me to be polite.)

He told me to return another day when he was off duty. I told him that when I left this building, I would not return here. He smiled and exited the room.

Next up the three star general. Now we are cooking.

In Arabic, which Tito translates later, he tells the one star general that there is no reason why this "woman" is being detained. Let her go. Give her back her camera.

Yippee.

Of course, I am slightly reprimanded about not checking about photography rules and am admonished not to take any more pictures until I leave.

I promise him of course. Scouts honor.

However, I do have more pictures from the last two days in Khartoum.

No comments: