10/31/2008

Opportunities

Happy Halloween.

I have finished lighting my pumpkins, turned on the scary music, filled the cauldron with candy and am waiting.

I love Halloween. It allows me to be legitimately insane. If I had someone else to hand out the candy, I would dress up.

Coming in from outside, Evan the Almighty was playing on the TV. I never saw it in the movie theater.

I was watching Evan dressed as Noah building his ark surrounded by animals gathered in pairs.

His family was just a little stressed out, to say the least. They are still living in the family home, attending school, grocery shopping etc. Evan, he's sleeping in the great outdoors, dressed in long robes with a beard and hair white as snow.

There is a reason I was to watch this movie.

I sat down during the scene of the family, sans Evan, eating in a restaurant. Boys have run to the bathroom. Mom sits alone. She signals the waiter to bring her more of everything.

A woman after my own heart. Stressed is merely desserts spelled backwards.

Of course, God is the waiter played magnificently by Morgan Freeman.

Aside from being a great story,animals, water, God's wrath, here is "Gods" take on the story.

And here are the words I believe, I was meant to hear.

"When someone prays for patience, does God give them patience, or an opportunity to practice patience?"

"When someone prays for courage, does God give them courage, or an opportunity to be courageous?"

"When a family needs to be together, does God make it so, or provide them with an opportunity to be together?"

Today, I was speaking with a woman who has the opportunity to travel overseas next year. She is just a little daunted by this.

So, if she is reading this, she now knows that I was meant to watch the movie for her as well.

Therefore, keep watching and listening, for your opportunity to speak to you.

No comments: