11/01/2008

Scheduled Bleeding

There’s nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein. Walter Wellesley "Red” Smith—a now deceased sports writer.

I seem to have a problem scheduling time to write.

While in Sudan, I did my writing each Sunday before church. I actually looked forward to the time alone to reflect on what had happened during the week or the day.

Back in the States, I have yet to find that scheduled time.

I accumulate lots of pictures, sayings, and impressions during the week. I actually have them all stored in Word. or in an actual file on my desk, or written on pieces of paper, the backs of bills, the only thing available when inspiration hit.

Church is a big source.

So, when I heard Keith Olbermann talk about "Red" Smith and read the quote above, I thought "Voila".

All I need is a knife. But, what kind? Too small and my thoughts might be incomplete. Too large, and I might not stop typing.

Or possibly, I need to install an on and off valve that will open and close the appropriate vein. A valve that could be put on a timer.

Instant inspirational insights.

Being honest, I have not yet learned to be apart from the world while being a part of the world.

It was much easier in Sudan.

And, my surgery has put a damper on typing at any time of the day. I have had difficulty in finding the right position for the keyboard.

Tonight, I remembered that Mark had loaned me his spare laptop. He had given it to me to take to Sudan, but I knew that I would probably want to leave one behind in Sudan.

So, I am now sitting upstairs, laptop perched on pillows at the right angle for my shoulder.


Paring knife in hand.




No comments: