1/18/2009

My apology

To All My Friends in Sudan;

I humbly apologize.

I was naive.

I did not understand why you wanted to come.

In the age of travel, cell phone, the internet. Where we can communicate with each other simply by picking up the phone.

I, who was so discouraged with the America of the past eight years, could not understand why you wanted to come, come to a place with which I felt so discouraged.

At the end of my four months in Sudan, I was only beginning to understand, but not quite.

It took the election of Barack Hussein Obama to make me realize what WE are and what WE can become.

As I watched Delaware's favorite son, Joseph Biden, board the train in Wilmington and head to Washington, I was inspired anew.

As I listened to words from our President-Elect, I was inspired anew.

As I sat with my friends in church this morning, I was inspired anew. As we sang from Life Every Voice and Sing, I wept.

And, I was inspired anew.

And, as Bono now sings a song dedicated to Martin. I am inspired anew.

"Not just an American dream, an Irish, an African, an Israeli, a Palentinian, a European dream, Let Freedon ring. Every village and hamlet, state and city. Let Freedom ring."

When, Garth Brooks sang When the last thing we look at is the color of the skin and the first we look at is the heart within, we shall be free.

And now, he speaks. To thank us. For inspiring him.

Together we can carry forward the legacy of our forebearers.

Pete Seeger sings this land was made for you and me. Beyonce America the Beautiful.

I was naive. Please forgive.

I am inspired anew.

No comments: