1/23/2009

shaking up the walls

In Delaware, today was a scarf and sandal day.

It was 47 degrees. Compared to the 16 degrees several days ago, I am surprised that people were not opening their pools. The temperature on the third floor of the Bishop's office was 75 degrees before Jude opened the window.

Sandals with socks worn to work, became sandals during work.

So, it was fitting for me to head out at 2 PM dressed for two personalities.

At the end of this very emotional week, the body says slink into your comfy chair and write.

Doing so, my gaze falls to the left to a painting that is sitting on my floor. A Carolyn Blish. Child on beach.

Above that, leaning against the wall, is another brought back from Florida this past Christmas. My sister very graciously let me have it.

So, the past few weeks, about ten paintings have been moving room to room.

I am shaking up the walls and therefore, my perspective.

I do not subscribe to the notion that once a painting is hung, it must stay there forever. Nope.

If that were the case, who would ever see what hangs in the hall upstairs, or in my room, or guestrooms?

So, every so often, I move the paintings around. Those who visit get another treat.

And, I collect paintings like I do furniture. What I like I keep, what I do not, goes.

Moving things around, shakes things up. Makes me think that I have all new "stuff."

Of course, it looks a little untidy while I play. The important thing is that I am playing.

By divesting of excess "stuff", it opens walls and rooms to new possibilities.

Just like my soul.

My soul needs shaking up occasionally. To do so, I change my surroundings. Allow for new experiences and people.

Things get untidy for a while. Messy.

I remember when I was little, every time I played, I had to pick up.

Now that I decide what or who I play with, playtime is often very messy.


Who's got mud?

No comments: