3/25/2009

Sustainable Change

Last Friday, I had to stop at BJ's to renew the Diocesan account. Slip in, slip out.

However, before anything could be done I needed to get a new card for myself, the principal listed on the account.

OK, no problem, except that I needed to get another picture taken. Not really excited about that I had already taken out my contacts and had my glasses on.

So, off come the glasses, look straight ahead, smile a little.

Voila, here's my card.

Yikes. I look like my mother.

Now, that is not a bad thing, but until I began loosing weight (Thanks Sudan) my face was not as thin. It appears longer and that looks like my mom.

Mom would have turned 79 this coming April. In my mind though, she remains 65, the age she was when she passed away.

Since she really did not look like any other older woman in my family, I have no clue as to what she would have looked like at 79.

So, she never changes. Makes sense.

However, neither have I, and that was the real surprise when I looked at that new picture.
I expected to be frozen in time.

And, it is partly true. Same face, different body. (Working on that.)

However, as you might expect, the change is internal, and partly schizophrenic.

The personality from childhood stills seems very young.

This weekend, I began spring cleaning and I am still having a hard time giving up all the stuffed animals collected over the years. But I am working on it.

The other personality is the one that went to Sudan, without taking one of those stuffed animals with me. The childhood person could not have made the trip.

But, this makes me wonder, is there still another personality lurking around? Someone that might come out when I'm sleeping?

Or may appear as a cheerleader during football season? (Oh, that is not a good picture)

Or possibly make lots of money doing an on the air chef show? (My friends know that I am "stove" challenged)

Or maybe one of them might be male? (There was a movie about that with Steve Martin called All of Me)

I would love to be an actual Yankee baseball player.

This is not a "bucket list" of all the personalities that I would like to have before leaving this mortal coil. It is a list of those personalities that I would not be able to sustain.

I like having the youthful me co-habitating with the adventurous me. When I travel I revel in things others might ignore.

I like seeing the absurd, the unusual and the commonplace.

And, I like being able to pay for it.

The youthful me would still need Mom to pay for it, and that would limit the places I can go.

No comments: