5/25/2009

Memorial Day A Year Later

Today Memorial Day. As such, I have been following the news, reading the News Journal, trying to be respectful of those that died serving my country. Since it has been a year, I have reprinted below what I wrote last year in Sudan.

I have never been outside of the United States for a Memorial Day Weekend.


Truth be told, I had to ask my daughter if this was Memorial Day Weekend.

There are, of course, no reminders about this important weekend in America.

I have successfully adapted to Khartoum time.

Or, unsuccessfully.

The BBC covered the story using the background of the white crosses at Arlington National Cemetery.

Comcast News showed a picture of an honor guard firing their salute, commenting about how busy these national cemeteries are at this time of the Iraq war.

There are no plans for a Memorial Day Parade by ex-pats here in Khartoum.

There will be no prayer services at any cemetery for those killed in harms way.

Instead, I worked Saturday and will work on Monday.

Today, Sunday, I will attend church at 6 PM.

Thankfully, there are no malls and no Memorial Day Weekend Sales. Events that have removed from American's conciousness the reason for the day off.

The reason for the remembering becomes much clearer if you are removed from America's distractions.

So, I ask a favor of you that are at home.

Take a few minutes today and tomorrow. Watch a prayer service in person or on TV.

Be silent for a few minutes and thank those that have given their lives and ask God to bless their families and friends.

This year, not much has changed in the US. Sales and special TV shows are running all weekend. The only connection to those that gave their lives are the words Memorial Day in front of SALE.

Shame on US, the U.S.

No comments: