5/16/2009

Side Tracked

Today started out with a plan.

Get up, get dressed, get gas and get going.

To Westchester County New York.

I had finally connected with someone who will be shuttling a computer to Diana in Darfur. I was to meet him at 1 PM. Had my directions in hand.

Everything was going well. I was headed up the NJ Turnpike, remembering why they call this the Garden state.

What a wonderful drive. And easy now that EZPass works.

Of course, it is a little like gambling with a credit card. I will not know what the trip cost me until my bank statement arrives.

Before I left, I decided that I would take a slight detour and drive by the NEW Yankee Stadium, snap a few pictures and then continue north.

Best laid plans, yada yada yada.

As I approach I realize that I am holding my breath. Where is it? There's the old, where is the new?

OMG. the light turns red, the camera comes out and voila. (That's my yellow Aveo in the corner.)

I continue driving and ask a cop about getting tickets.

What am I thinking?

Unlike a movie theatre, you cannot pull over, see if there are tickets and then park.

You must commit first. You must PARK and PAY.

OMG.

Not me, I am going to see about street parking.

What a Delawarean.

So, I turn around, in the middle of the street, and head back to parking.

They really make it easy to spend cash. Park, walk, and spend.

Next thing I know, I am inside with this view.
And this view.And this...
I am one happy camper.

I find my seat mates to the right are Mike and Mike, Navy men serving on subs.

Here is Mike the Yankee Fan.




I do not have a picture of Mike the Minnesota Fan.

To my left sat Jose and Pena, up from Miami for a 15 party for his niece. They follow the Yankees to games whenever they can.

Behind us sat Army men in town for a Bachelor Party and wedding. Man, did they hate Red Sox Fans.

Loudly hated Red Sox Fans. More beer bought and spilled as bought and drank.

I wore the Yankees cap they were giving away. I look awful in caps. But, I wore it and my new botton up Jeter pinstripe shirt with pride.

And, here is my favorite player, the first batter up for the Yankees. Go Derek.

The Yankees won in extra innings, but not before I became a little dissolusioned with the NEW.

The stadium is so loud with technology that you cannot hear the game. No cracking of bats, no umpire calls, no actual hands clapping.

And no announcers. And no instant replay on the worlds biggest screen.

I had the peanuts and a beer. The cracker jack was Jose's favorite.

But, there was something missing. The sounds of the game.

Gentlemen, take the technology down a notch.

Bring the humans back to the game.

Those of us in the seats.

No comments: