3/10/2008

Chances to Participate in Education

Well, it seems that my world just keeps expanding into others or theirs into mine. Which is it?

I had coffee with a friend at Border's this Saturday and the discussion turned towards my trip. She related to me that one of the "lost boys", Salva Dut, has started a program called Water for Sudan. Her daughter's father-in-law is actively supporting this program about drilling for new water wells in southern Sudan. You can check out information about Mr. Dut and Water for Sudan by going to
www.waterforsudan.org. I have been to the website and it is a wealth of information about when to drill, why to drill, how to drill and how to contribute. Groups from across the states are supporting this project.

I will be contacting Mr. Dut to share my experience and to see if I had been close to an area where his wells had been drilled. Of course, alot of the time, it is digging my human hands. Everyone around involved.


One mother, when asked about how her children would use the time in the day usually spent carrying water, replied "they will go to school."


This morning Cate, my friend and Life Coach, approached me with an opportunity to be part of building a new school in Kiloiiro, Uganda, a small rural community deep in the bush of central Uganda. Of course, my ears picked up and I smiled. This building mission was started by Beau Bressler, a 13 year-old boy, as part of his mitzvah project.


Just Like My Child, www.justlikemychild.com is collaborating with the villagers who are investing their time, energy and resources to create their own school. Educated girls grow up and make sure their families are educated. Education has been shown to save lives. Education gives children, especially girls, options other than early parenthood.


So google these links and expand your world.

No comments: