8/30/2008

Contrasts

I had not expected this: America is quiet.

I had expected green, which I so appreciate.

I had expected appliances. I am in love with my washing machine, the dryer is somewhat appreciated.

I have discovered that I like hanging clothes on the line. Connection to the elements. I will be re-stringing the clothes line in the back yard. And, though, I love the washing machine and the resulting really clean clothes, I also found that the pace of finding time to wash clothes by hand was very soothing.

But, I have the window open as I write this at 3 AM, and America is quiet. All I hear are crickets.

No dogs roaming and barking. No frogs croaking. No rickshaws riding by the house at all hours of the night. No calls to prayer by the mosques. No conversations by others in houses connected to mine.

America feels isolated. This I did not expect to feel.

I sit in a large house alone and have no contact with anyone else. The cats are running around. There is no feeling of inter-dependence that I found in Sudan. That feeling of relying on others and having others rely on you. The sense of community.

I spoke with a friend today that had recently returned from England and Tuscany. She and I were in agreement on the isolation.

Is it because we are isolated as a land mass, as a country? Is it because in America we value individuality over community?

In Sudan, the community is valued over the individual. Decisions are made within the community. Trouble in the family? The larger family and living community are involved in assisting in the solution. It was very alien to me.

That is not to say that I do not have great communities at work, at church, in my family. How many of us make decisions only after discussing within these greater communities?

Thinking of switching employment or retiring? This is usually not discussed outside of a select few, in case it gets back to your employer.

The decision to have a child or not have a child? Usually discussed with your partner, but certainly not a larger community.

To marry ?

To divorce?

Is it possible to combine the best of both experiences?

Should I?

No comments: