2/14/2009

Tough Love

This time last week, I was fortunate to be spending the night with Ginny. She is a wonderful woman who opened her house, head and heart to me last Saturday.

It was the night before I was to "chat" with the people during Sunday services at St. Paul's in Georgetown, DE.

I am offering to tell the story about how God got me to Sudan. The story of Jonah vs. Samuel, Fear vs. Trust, Certainty vs. the Unknown.

Tonight, I am face to face with tough love.

I wonder if it is only in the US that parents, faced with a troubled child, use this method.

I have come to accept the unknown, to give up certainty, or if not to immediately give it up, to recognize what I am feeling.

How else would I have gone and stayed in Sudan?


I do not know what is happening with K. I assume that I know where she is.

I do know that she is not taking her medication. That she will be slipping down an emotional slope.

I do not know how she will climb back up, or if she will climb back up.

I do know that I am surrounded by those that love and care for me.

Can she recognize that in the people around her?

I hope so.

Hope, such a powerful word. Like a road map, or a life line, or tube.

Something to keep us on course, or a float.

I have looked into the eyes of people without hope.

They do not look at you, they cannot focus, they stare into space.

Their bodies look "heavy."

Those are K. eyes.

Tough love.

Tough.

Love.

No comments: