6/28/2009

Double Clutch

I love google, or any other search engine that provides information quickly.

I am watching the Yankess play the Mets, the third game of this current subway series. Being a Yankee fan, I am happy. The Yankess have won the first two games.

It was during the first inning that the announcers used the phrase "double clutch." The infielder had double clutched and Jeter had made it to third.

Double Clutched? A clutch belongs on a car. What does this have to do with baseball?

Voila. From the site Baseball Jargon double clutch is defined as:

When a fielder – usually an infielder or a catcher – draws his arm back twice before throwing he's said to "double clutch." This hesitation often leads to a delayed or late throw, allowing runners to advance a base. A term borrowed from a method of shifting gears on an automotive vehicle.

Double clutching. Hesitation. Delay in action.

Amazing. I have been planing baseball without even knowing it.

Growing up in New York State, I was surrounded by baseball. My father, Joe Lane graduated from the same high school as I did, Ossining, played baseball in school and then played in the mens softball league while I ws growing up. I remember attending lots of games as the family followed to all the parks to watch. My favorite was when he played at the park down the street from our house and we could walk to and from.

Later on, I played girls softball in grade school. Later still, followed friends playing in the Babe Ruth league. And later still, married a former Ossining ball player.

I followed the Yankees growing up, thanks to my grandfather Ivar Tang. Sitting by his side as he drank Knickerbocker beer with a shot, eating dark pumpernickel bread with Canadian hard cheddar sliced cheese. He had no problem praising them when they played well and yelling "Dem Bums" when they didn't.

I cried the day Mantle retired.

I started following the Mets and remember being the only girl at Queens College in Charlotte, NC that screamed when they won the World Series in 69.

When the kids were growing up, none of them played, but our house had Pirate, Phillies and Yankees fans. (Almost as bad as football season with Steeler, Eagles, Redskins and Giants.)

I have come full circle. I am now paying for MLB.com so that I can watch all the Yankee games. I am re-discovering my love for this game.

I used to think the game played too slow. That has changed.

I have slowed down my life and appreciate the "speed" of this game.

No comments: