3/09/2011

I wish I were....

Memory is an amazing thing.

Even in the best of times, it confounds me why sometimes I cannot remember what I was to do on the way home, but can then sing the lyrics to a song that was popular when I was in 7th grade.

It's My Party by Leslie Gore.

I loved her songs, except for her follow-up Judy's Turn to Cry.  I went from villan to super-villan in the span of months.

But, I'd give it an 8.

Then when you add perspective to memory, you end up with several people looking at the same event and recounting different stories. 

Take an event that elicits emotions, like movies.  Afterward, you tell the tale loving and laughing, but your friend is telling others it was boring, trite, don't waste your money.

Remember the conversations that math, history should be taught by song?  Most everyone knows the Billy Joel song We Did't Start The Fire that details events from 1949-1989.  Imagine if we had been taught history by dissecting each one of those events?


Or advertising jingles that we can remember for their catch phrases.

Where's the Beef?  I've fallen and I can't get upI can't believe I ate the whole thing?

 Or jingles.

Plop, plop fizz fizz Oh what a relief it is.

For me, sometimes jingles not only made me want to buy something, but elicited a stronger urge to participate.

Oh I wish I were an Oscar Myer Wiener.

This jingle made me want to find the Wiener car.  Where was it, how would I find it?

Every time that darn jingle played, it sparked the memory of wanting. 

Where was it, how would I find it?

Now, imagine an ordinary grocery store stop after work, turning the corner, looking for a space and ....



OMG, OMG.  Run get the camera.

See this is why I carry it with me.  OMG



So what did I do?  Went inside and met the Wiener Guys, sent a postcard, got a sticker, and a Wiener whistle.  Life is GOOD.

OH, I wish I were an Oscar Myer Wierner. 

Everyone Would Be in Love With Me.



A girl can dream,

Can't She?

No comments: