10/29/2012

Progressive Christianity

For the past decade, at least, I have realized that my take on being a Christian has not been the same as others.  On Friday night, I was given the reason why.

I am a Progressive Christian.

I do not have the same view of being Christian as my mother did at the height of Main Line Christianity in 1954.

As a Progressive Christian, I am not concerned about what happens after death, but rather how to live a transformative life now.  Intentionally living a spiritual life whose purpose is to be transformed now.

As a Progressive Christian, Jesus has more authority over my life than the Bible.  The Bible which I interpret as historical and metaphorical.  It is not the literal word of God and it is not valued over and above Jesus and what he taught.

As a Progressive Christian, there is no tension between Science and Christianity.  Come on>  Intelligent Design?  The earth only 5,000 years old?

As a Progressive Christian I do not merely tolerate other religious traditions but embrace them not limiting God to only one tradition world wide.

As a Progressive Christian, I socially embrace inclusiveness.

As a Progressive Christian, I am not "belief-centered" nor "heaven-and-hell" centered.

So, now all of you that are family and friends, you now know why I went to Sudan, why I would go back, why I am involved in AFRECS and in Reach Academy for Girls.

Jesus said to help the homeless, hungry and those in prison.  To do to the least of these, you have done it to him.

Very, very simple.




No comments: