8/08/2008

Divestiture

Here comes another chance to divest.


I love that word.


So it begins, the separating into multiple piles those items that will be returning to the states and those that will not.


Those that will not go are then separated into more piles.


There is the pile of medical supplies that will go the The Mothers Union for their clinic. Thank you Jackie for the masks.


There is the pile of makeup that I will give to Diana who, hopefully, is confirmed by the UN in NY to work here for UNMIS. Thank you Estee Lauder for your samples.


There is my laptop that I purchased before the trip. It will also go to The Mothers Union to be used by Harriet and Mama Daris as they travel around Sudan, empowering women. You cannot purchased used laptops here so, I will replace mine at the store in Lewes, Delaware. They will also receive my Sudani MDSL. Access to their networking friends from around the world is so important. In addition, they may work from home, if needed. Thank you people of the Diocese of Delaware for purchasing the MDSL.


There is the medicine that is left and that will go to my neighbors Graziella and Sami. Should I give credit to Happy Harry's?


I have already donated my spare phone that I purchased on my previous trip in February. It can only be used here and, I certainly do not need two.

Prior to leaving in May, the staff gave me a memory stick that contains past issues of The Communion. I will be leaving it for Tito, who is fascinated with Episcopal Life Online and the Diocese of Delaware website. Thank you friends.

I have already divested of some funds towards those that do not get but one meal a day, or those with medical needs, and will, hopefully, divest of some more prior to leaving.


We gave to a young postulant that needed to get home to see his family in Darfur while on break from school in Egypt.


We will give to a provincial employee that needs access to the internet. The Rev. Daniel Deng is the director of the Theological Education Extension program. This program is training and certifying those priests that were ordained during the past civil war. His work, involving six northern dioceses, is invaluable to the Episcopal Church in the Sudan. Daniel has been a spiritual and physical presence to me each morning that I opened up the finance office.


Some planned but yet not carried out:


The capital campaign for St. Phillip's ECS first church building.


Purchase of knitted items to support Gillia's church women. I am bringing these home. Everyone get ready to receive at least one.


To All Saint's Catheral - Khartoum to support their Youth Program. A small token for the unbounded support that Dean Sylvester and Frs. Joseph Taban and Joseph Garang have given me along with the rest of the staff.


Remember the movie Mr. Mom? The replication of Michael Keaton was a novelty in its day.

Well, I wish that there could be a replication of me, so that I could divest of one of "me" and leave "me" here.

I wish that each human being came with at least two hearts, so that the one that is part African could stay and the other return to you my family and friends.


No comments: