8/10/2008

Sudan's Believe It or Not

Sudan is entering the ice age, believe it or not.

Well, maybe not the ice age, but it is cooler.

Yesterday the sky was filled with clouds the entire day. It was warm, but that was because the humidity had climbed.

Well, not climbed, maybe took a babystep upwards.

It reminded me of a summer day in Cape Cod, MA before a storm.

The kind of day, when you wore your sweatshirt with jeans and sandals, bathing suit underneath. The sweatshirt only coming off if the cloud cover dissipated. And, breezes from off the water actually were chilling.

Well, last night it stormed and the winds were from the north.

The wind whipped through the house from the back bedroom window right over my head and out the front door. I discovered that I was actually chilly. The fan had long been turned off so the chill was definitely from the air.

I do not know how long it rained, but Rascal slept at the bottom of my bed the entire night. Very comforting and reminded me of nights when my dog, Heidi, used to do the same thing.

Earlier in the evening, Rascal reminded me of Heidi in another way. She climbed up on the bed and proceeded to nest. Great. Heidi I could remove, Rascal, not a chance. Bribery was the only solution. But, what she left on my clean sheet were muddy foot prints.

About 10 days ago, I removed the sunshield that I had installed. It ran the width of the inner courtyard from the house to the kitchen. I found that I did not need it anymore and that I enjoyed hanging out in the sun.

The large spare water container, that had to be filled all the time in case I had to fill the AC unit when the water was turned off, now is used to clean. I hardly run the unit anymore. I sleep with only a fan.

This morning, the cloud cover continues. The fan is running only because there is no breeze. Should one develop, the fan will be turned off.

This non-use of energy is driving my house neighbor crazy. He runs his AC unit all the time and goes through about 15 Kw hours each day just for that. And he has a TV, which I used to envy.

Now, I have stopped paying on electric.

I paid for all of May and June when he was avoiding me and using up the $$. He rants and raves at me through Sami.

Sami is now the go between, ever since this crazy man started yelling at me about America and Israel. As Sami says, they both speak Arabic, but if Sami were talking about the Olympics, this man would be speaking about the weather. No communication at all.

This being said, before I leave I expect to find icicles on my nose one morning.

No comments: