8/22/2008

Sudan sans Sleep

So silly. Really.

I thought I was going to slip away from Sudan without a night of sleeplessness.

So silly. Really.

Here it is 3 AM Khartoum time and I am awake. Not wide awake, but awake.

The sultry Sudan sands are swirling slowly in the courtyard.

First one way, then the other. With each change Rascal's bottle "soccer" balls roll around.

The clothes drying on the line have been dryed by breezes rather than by the hot sun and they are swaying to and fro. Dancing shirts.

The sky is cloudy and the moon is trying to peak through. I was hoping for another spectacular view.

I am jealous of Rascal sleeping soundly right outside the door. The only sound that would awaken her would be the sound of cats walking along the roof.

Contributing to my sleeplessness is knowing the agenda for tomorrow, oops today, and the pain in my shoulder that is getting worse. The stress is working its way along my shoulders and neck.

If there is a long lay over in Heathrow, I will get someone to work on the neck.

Today starts with buying a little more rice to cook and some tuna for the dog. The power has been shutting off for long periods during the day and I think the meat for her meal has gone bad. Tonight she brought it all up as I was having coffee next door.

Then at 9 AM, another henna. During that time, we will be taking group pictures. I will be the "kawanja" with the goop on her head.

It will have to sit on my head for three hours, so I will have lots of time to download all my personal stuff from the computer. It remains here in Khartoum. I believe I am having separation anxiety about leaving the computer behind. It has been my link to all of you these past four months.

Why do I not feel that about the towels that I am leaving behind?

At 1 PM, I have my second meeting with Archbishop Daniel Deng Bul. I had my first tonight.

It was while sipping coffee and watching the Olympics that we heard Rascal barking and loud rapping on the gate. Graziella and I opened her door and parked in front of the house is the AB's car. Rapping on the gate is Rev. James Makuie, accompanied by Mannas and the Bishop's chaplain.

Could I possibly meet with his Grace?

Of course, I replied that it was a little late, I was not dressed, and my coffee was not finished.

NOT.

So off we went, I without knowing why. And, I wondered, could I actually address him as His Grace without smiling?

This meeting is another reason why I am not sleeping.

At 2 PM today, I am invited to a party. How much partying in Sudan, that is unknown. I have been informed that the Archbishop and Bishop Kondo (Khartoum diocese) are to be present, as well as Bishop Joseph Garang of Renk diocese. Lots of purple shirts.This is to last two hours, but if there is a microphone and any clergy are asked to speak, this could take hours.

I can make it stop, just be weeping.

The day ends with having dinner with my neighbors and saying farewell to Dr. Fares.

I have not learned the arabic word for goodbye, so I am opting for "see you soon" in English.


Think this could be intentional?

No comments: