4/22/2009

Batter Up

Jealousy has reared its ugly head, and I must own it.

There is something to be said for having a job that feeds your passions. And, if your passions are the outside and baseball and New York City, then I have a confession.

I really am jealous of Keith Olbermann.

Here is a guy that combines his love of the Yankees, with sports casting, journalism, writing, and being the the host of his own prime time Cable show Countdown.

As I am penning this entry, the Yankees are playing the Athletics and it is in the top the 14th inning the score tied at 7 all.

And, since Keith has not been hosting his show this week, it is a fairly good bet that he is sitting in his season ticket holder seat, routing the home team on toward victory.

Speaking of season ticket holders.

Knowing that this is the first season in the Yankees new stadium, I casually looked at pricing season tickets. What I found was that the tickets were very reasonable, if I wanted to get back the funds I spent sending my daughter to Penn State.

$28,000. For a great chair, behind home plate. My mouth was drooling. I thought of selling my home. I could get season tickets for several years. More, if I did not factor in a place to live and food to eat.

My initial thought was to find someone who wanted to adopt an older child. OK, much older child.

Then, I thought maybe someone who needed an older sister, or aunt.

Then, I thought of Keith. OK, so he has a girlfriend. What difference should that make.

I want a seat, and I am willing to beg.

I would fetch drinks, food, be his driver, which would involve the used of my car, since he does not own one.

Actually, it would involve a rental car. Keith would not fit into a Chevy Aveo, hatch back or not.

I would wash his clothes, clean his house, quit my job.

Forget going back to Sudan. We are talking Yankees here.

Now, some of you might be thinking about what $28,000 could actually buy, other than season tickets to watch the Yankees. And you would be right.

However, this is a fantasy.

A fantasy exists to give pleasure, to provide entertainment, a respite from the real world. They very rarely come true.

I, however, am willing to test this theory.

So, who has Keith's cell phone number?

No comments: