4/21/2009

God as Cat

This is my current screen saver. I found the picture of this cat when I was looking for additional pictures of Derek Jeter, my favorite baseball player.

Go Yankees. Whoo Yoo. Boo Boston.

This cat reminds me of the Old Testament God, the one who can get really mad.

This past Sunday, our Adult Forum was discussing faith and what it means to be a Christian. This followed the visit of our Presiding Bishop on Holy Tuesday.

In response to one question, she urged us all to re-examine what being a Christian means. Then to enter dialogs with other faiths, Muslim and Jew, to get better understanding of each other. Her entire visit to the Diocese of Delaware can be found at www.dioceseofdelaware.net.




We were discussing how you can come to a point when you think you understand who you are in relation to God, where you are going, and that is the time when you realize that you do not understand it at all.

However, God does not abandon you. God keeps urging us forward, putting goals in front us, we keep moving toward the goal.

That illustration made me think of me as mouse, the goal as cheese, and God, the cat, moving the cheese forward.

Then, the image from above popped into my head. Not the image of God I usually imagine.

Me as mouse.

Sudan as cheese.

God as cat. Faithful, watching out for your arrival. Keeping the bed warm.

No comments: