4/28/2009

My heart to yours.

Light-hearted, affairs of the heart. your hearts content.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, but the presence make the heart grow stronger.

A man/woman after my own heart.

Bleeding heart Liberal ( A personal favorite) Broken-hearted, hard-hearted, heavy-hearted.

It has taken me a couple of days to actually get back to this writing. Originally, I was very heavy of heart, dealing with economic slowdown repercussions.

However, that moved aside and, I am in the midst of grief over the death of my predecessor and friend.

Peggy Ann died on Saturday after a long battle with cancer. The end was a blessing, she was in tremendous pain.

Peggy Ann was a staunch support of my mission to Sudan. She was so excited for me. When our Diocese had its companion relationship with South Africa, Peggy Ann traveled there.

She was a daily reader of my blog and when I returned home, we shared many stories comparing our trips.

She was my surrogate mother, though I never told her so. My own mom died in 1995. I did tell her I loved her, often. The last time, was Holy Tuesday, the day the Presiding Bishop visited. She sat with the Bishop's staff, resolutely, while in pain.


When she retired as Business Manager, she did not retire. Peggy Ann served on the Board and Treasurer of The Seaman's Center in Wilmington. She was a long-time deputy to General Convention, the last time in 2006. She served as a Trustee, a member of the Investment Committee and the Insurance Committee. Through her I was introduced to the Diocese and it's people.

The love the Diocese felt for her was transferred to me. I was blessed by knowing her.

I used to tell her that I would not use her as an example of retirement. That I would not want to serve on all the Committee's she served on. I would move away, no one would know me.

I lied.

I know now, I want to be just like her.

That is Peggy Ann in the light blue suit and dark blouse talking to her friend and former colleague Judy as the Bishop's staff awaits the arrival of the Presiding Bishop.

May the Peace of the Lord be with her always.





No comments: