2/11/2008

At The Source

I have not seen the Nile, but even on the cab ride from the airport in Entebbe the driver remarked about how Uganda and Sudan are the beginning. He can arrange a trip, lots of people go. Too bad, he says, that I have not allowed enough time to see the history and beauty of his country. After the amount of time spent in the air to get here, next flght will allow time. There are botanical gardens, the tombs of the kings, the lake. Lots.

When I remarked about the street light poles that are not lit, he tells me the history about faction fighting and whomever wins decides if they have enough money for the lights or not. So when driving and he cannot see, he flicks repeatedly between high and low beams. But this is done in traffic and to on coming traffic. There are people walking all over the highway, this was at 11 PM last hight, scooters are everywhere and driving wherever they choose. Add the fact they drive on the opposite side of the road and I will not be driving anywhere.

We drove through lots of small communities and towns. Lots of activity even late at night on Sunday. Lots of shops side by side in what looks like our garages. Selling everything. One town we drove through is where all the second hand parts from Japan come to. Japan ships second hand everything to Uganda and then people come from all over to this region buy appliances, bikes, windows. That is all I could see as we zoomed by.

As we arrived at the bottom of the hills in Kampala before we traveled up to the hotel, we had stopped for a light. Three young girls with babies approached the taxi asking for money. Street people they are called. All others traveling in the taxi told me I would have to get used to this. But at this early stage, it tugged at my heart and soul.

Of course, I also paid the driver of the shuttle only to find out in the morning that they had paid his company. In addition, I paid him twice the rate and tipped him for all the information. But take heart, I did this as well in NYC. Seems that I have to learn this lesson on each continent.

The hotel is amazing. I could not get a good idea about the number of people staying here but there are lots working. Everyone apologizes to me when I ask for something. Another custom I will need to get used to.

I am currently wathcing Al Jazeera TV and that I did not expect. I can watch CNN, BBCnews and this. Fascinating. I am sure that what I am watching would not be reported back home.

I am also watching our election results, the pro-bowl on Sunday. Everyone is talking about the US elections. Hearing all their names in German, Dutch, French, tribal, Italian, Arabic is pretty fascinating. Of course, I do not have any idea of what they are saying. Probably a good thing.

Well, it is the evening of the second night and I am trying to get on this time schedule.

Grace and Peace

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Judi, I am voraciously gobbling up your description of Kampala, I imagine I'm sitting next to you in the cab, peering out in the darkness, everything brand new and exciting! I feel like I'm reading the sequel to Eat, Pray, Love and I can hardly wait until the next chapter! Keep writing -- please!

Anonymous said...

I tried to post a comment but it's not there? Hmm. Will try again later.

Carole said...

What great descriptions of your travels. Can't wait to keep reading.

Thom Jensen said...

Dear Judi, What a wonderful opportunity! I'm so glad I stumbled upon this blog and so happy that you are keeping it. We will remember you and hope you share a bit at Convention. It's a great thing to have this preparatory visit.