2/14/2008

Juba?

February 12, 2008 continued;

OK, the plane ride on Ugandan Air is better than KLM. Took less than one hour.

So what will Juba be like? Listening to friends and family I imagine that it might be a bit like our old wild west, but AK47's rather than Colt 45's. And we are landing at high noon.

As we taxi back to the terminal, we pass fallen and disgarded aircraft, helicopters, trucks all a reminder of the past 21 years of war. But there are no guns, no armies, just UN and UNICEF. People are lovely and hospitable. Quit worrying.

The terminal. Imagine a turn of the century out post that has one building, maybe Havana, and every process is done by hand and slowly. I have discovered Sudanese time. There are no watching the clocks. Everyone is in a hurry to wait. Mass confusion getting visa's and passports processed.

Then our driver shows up. All of these vehicles are cross-terrains and needed now. Traveling from the airport, we navigate around large ravines that would swallow my Aveo. There is only one paved road in Juba and it leads to my hotel, The South Sudan. I wish every meeting met along this road. But of course not.

The people are wonderful that greet us. The room, is African and I will be sleeping under a net during the night. Romantic in the US, ncessary to live in Sudan.

There is no time for a shower, we are off to the Cathedral. We arrive at lunch time around 1 PM. Everyone sits under trees. You must wash hands with soap prior to eating and then get in line. Lots of water to drink. Met lots of people. Cathedral is really pretty.

I have been told that May - August is the rainy season. You can only travel when it is not raining. My house must be close to where I will work. So instead of dust, there will be mud. No sandles, but "wellies"

More later and I promise pictures. But they will have to wait until I get back to Kampala to upload.

Grace and Peace.

No comments: