2/28/2008

Planning for Khartoum

I received replies to my initial questions about living in Khartoum, some are challenging.

AC? No but an air cooler and fans. My reply will be to ask what is the difference between and air cooler and air conditioning.

Internet access? No, but internet cafes nearby.

Sudanese cash is needed to pay for everything, but I can change dollars into the local currency in Khartoum, different than Juba.

Utility costs? $15/month for water and $35/month for electricity.

I will need to pay a cleaner $150/month to clean 3 times a week, "necessary with Khartoum dust".

The rent is usually $550/month, the responsibility of the Province.

The immediate neighbors are friendly, but very little English. On the plus side, I will be living close to a Swedish NGO (Non-Governmental Organization) called IAS who are very helpful and friendly and have been in Khartoum a long time.

Weekly food costs? Vegetables from the local market vary in price with the season. For instance, 1kg of tomatoes run $1-$2. Eating out is more like European prices. Since my reference point is US, I have no idea what that means and will have to ask.

The dog gets his meat cooked. Cute, no cans.

Commute? She usually drives, not me. There is a direct bus, though I might be able to arrance for the office to pick me up each day. I think I will take advantage of this.

Flight to Juba? $230 each way, but available for $100 through WFP. Need to ask what WFP means.

Flight to Egypt to see pyramids? Well there are more pyramids in Sudan than Egypt, though Egypt's are bigger. This I did not know. Return ticket cost $480.

No comments: