2/07/2008

Finally

Finally.

Since last December, I have had to practice keeping secrets. I usually have no problem when they pertain to others, but me, I want to share, and share, and share. Is this a girl/guy thing or a Judi/rest of the world thing. Now everyone can know.

Beginning around May 1, I am taking a four-month sabbatical to Sudan. I will be living and working in Juba in southern Sudan. In order to get ready for this, I will be leaving on Saturday for a 10 day trip. Everything is in place, except for me in my seat on the plane. Lists have been checked, clothes washed, computer, camera, phone all set, cat sitter ready, air borne germ spray and today I bought panic medicine in case the walls of the airplane start to close in. Tomorrow, I get my last shot, meet with the Investment committee, say "See you soon" to colleagues,friends and especially family. My daughter and sister and sister-in-law will be responsible for my emotional fort. My colleagues will take of me spiritually and physically. God has chosen some amazing people for my life. So amazing that I cannot wait to see who is waiting for me on the other side of the planet.

I am asked if I am afraid. If you could see my face you would not entertain that thought. I was just chair dancing to I heard it through the grapevine and Gimme some lovin on The Big Chill CD. I do not think that I am.

The physical things that I will miss: my sleep number bed, my cats, Starbucks, Borders, music and the internet whenever I want it, to name a few. When I return I can elaborate on what I exchanged for them. I have heard a couple of things: generosity and smiles of the people, friendship, different food and drink, cafes to name a few.

What surprises life can bring. Come along with me.

No comments: