6/11/2008

Rain - Part Two

As I was sitting in the rain and writing about Rain, less than three miles from me a Sudan Airbus crashed at the airport killing a great number of people.

Reports conflict about whether it was due to the dust storm we were experiencing or an engine bursting into flames after safely landing. The cause will eventually be determined, but either way so many families have been affected.

Then as the rain continued, I opened my email to discover the message that my friend Amy Warder, had died after a long bout with cancer.

Yesterday the rain, thunder, and lightening masked a number of things.

The thunder and lightening masked the sounds of the plane crash.

The rain mixed in with my tears and sobs.

I remember a trip to Seattle with Amy, Oran and Jeff. We were sightseeing and Amy and Jeff had earmarked some places that we were going to visit. We saw the hotel where Twin Peaks Lodge was filmed. We saw the town where Northern Exposure was taped. And then Amy wanted to see this really old big tree deep in a forest.

In usual fashion, Amy had dressed for the occasion, wearing low heeled shoes, that matched her outfit perfectly. We had on sandals or sneakers.

We had to park the rental car at the beginning of the path to the tree and as we alighted, it started to drizzle. Three of us thought of turning back, not Amy. We were going to see this tree, what could a little rain do?

Well, we made it to the tree with Amy shoeless. Those pumps ruined.
And I have the pictures to remember the event.

The families of those that died in yesterday’s crash, they probably all thought that they would grow old together.

I thought Amy and I would be laughing ourselves silly in some nursing home, doing our best to thwart the staff, both of us hearing in the background ,Oran saying…

“Now Amy”.

Note: This writing has more to do with my journey on the river than of Sudan. But in Khartoum I am surrounded by caring new friends who keep repeating to me the Resurrection message as they pray with me and let me remember Amy, and pray also for Oran, Zach, Griffin and Wesley. But, especially Amy, who, they assure me, I will see again.

No comments: