6/29/2008

Traditions Worth Forgetting

This past week has been filled with so much activity and so much to write about.

I have taken lots of pictures that need to be uploaded from the camera.

I have been to a house blessing, some great church services,had another great haircut before I leave for Juba, this time in a parlor with lots of African and Arab women.

The problem with Rascal's ear still torments the dog and myself. The vet is due to visit tomorrow morning.

Ah, tomorrow morning. June 30th. A special day here in Khartoum, especially for the government. It was on June 30th, some years ago that the government of Khartoum took control of the whole country. Until last year, this was a national holiday.

But in light of the peace agreement signed in 2005, this seems kind of awkward, so there are some Sudanese that expect everything to be closed and some who do not.

I have been hearing about lots of traditions in Africa. This afternoon, I received hand markings, similar to henna, from my hosts in Omdurman. Pictures will follow, but it is hard to take pictures while typing.

If you are married, you may apply the color to the soles of your feet and up your ankles. Single women may only decorate their hands.

If you are widowed, traditions vary from wearing white and not leaving your house for four months and 10 days, to three days of prayer and get on with your life.

Of course, traditional dress in Khartoum is everywhere. Men in long white robes and white turbans. However, under alot of the robes are western dress. There are times I wonder what city I am in. Women sytles range from complete covering of the entire body in black to western clothes, such as jeans, and wearing head dresses.

It is only foreign western women that do not cover their heads.

There is the tradition of an Arab or African man taking more than one wife, the norm is around 4.

There are repercussions to living this tradition if you are an Episcopalian in Sudan. You may not take communion.

As I attended a service today, I realized that there were many more women at the communion rail than men. However, when I was standing on the receiving line at the end of the service, there were a lot of men that I had not seen come forward.

The reason, multiple wives. Of course, what is good for the goose should be good for the gander. I could write a whole column about this.

This is a tradition worth forgetting.

I have seen a skit, written and performed by young AFrican Episcopalians, that was about apousal abuse.

The skit started out with the wife holding the job, brow beating the husband. The wife leaves for work, the huband for the market. He encounters a friend. This friend tells him that he should not take this. He should return home, throw his shopping at his wife, strike her a few times and take the position of authority.

The entire audience started to laugh when the tables were turned.

I was the only person that did not understand laughing at violence. It was explained as part of the culture.

The past two days, I and others have been working with a young women who was attacked in her fathers home by a young student boarder. This woman's father is an Episcopalian that I have come to know.

This father did nothing. It is the Sudanese culture. It is different. I do not understand.

I understand spousal abuse very well. I understand aggravated assault very well. I understand violence very well.

So, this woman spent the day with us out of her father's house. Alternative shelter is available to her. Financial assistance is available to her. She has individuals to call tonight if something else happens. She has been told, it is not your fault. She has been reminded that she is not chattle but a child of God.

This is a tradition worth forgetting.

No comments: