6/30/2008

Employees Wanted

Job Posting: Veterinary Assistant

Job Qualifications: Likes animals, knows how to muzzle dogs, knows how to give shots, knows how to talk dog to sleep, knows how to drain blood from ear, knows how to minister to VET.

Today marked the second time that I have had to step into the role of Veterinary Assistant.

Rascal needed to see the Vet again. Not to have her stiches removed, but to remove additional blood from her ear.

Of course, not having a car and having a dog with a split personality makes it difficult to get to the clinic. So, the VET comes to the house.

Welcome to Sudan. Take note America.

Rascal has taken to sleeping under my bed during the day. So when Dr. Khalid arrived, she did not automaticlaly run out barking and growling.

This is not to say she did not make an appearance barking and growling. However,she stopped after one growl to sniff his pants.

Wow, that was easy.

Entertaining your VET in your bedroom is a complicated task. First, you have to run ahead and remove from the bed all the clothes that you have taken down from the clothes line.

Then pick up all the incidental items laying on the table. Rascal cooperates by keeping the Dr. busy.

Of course a sedative is in order. No problem, I distract Rascal and the shot is given. It should take affect in 10-15 minutes, possibly longer.

So, while this is working we chat about my markings, why I am here, the evening plans with his wife, the first visit to the clinic. How they train police dogs in Sudan was interesting, but made me a little uneasy.

We talked about food, VET schools, religion but no politics all the time watching Rascal to see how she was progressing.

She kept moving through the stages of staggering, lying down, getting up and finally seemed to find a place to let go. That accomplished, we decided to move her into the shade so that she would be more comfortable.

Ms. Hyde rears her head.

Rascal attacks the doctor, by pinning him against the wall. He is covering his hands behind his back. What seems like hours passes and Rascal lies back down.

Dr. Khalid has been bitten four times, one serious, two moderately and one superfically. All on his hands.

I am given instructions to open bottles of sterilizing liquid. I apply to the cuts. He keeps saying no problem, a familiar Sudanese saying. He is lying.

I help him clean out the wounds, and apply some Johnson and Johnson Bandaids with Antibiotic ointment in them, once the bleeding has subsided.

I feel the need to do more and make him drink water. Then we wait.

Rascal is taking a long time to fall asleep. Every once in a while, I think she is down for the count but she moves again.

He has decided that I must tie her muzzle shut with the same fabric that I used with Dr. Fares. I am so thrilled to have this on the job training.

And, I am really scared. I have already been bitten by this dog and do not want a repeat. And today, I have seen it again.

But, the ear cannot be treated without this being done.

So, praying and sweating profusely, I proceed to try and bring this piece of fabric around her muzzle. She does not react, but I am still afraid. A couple of more tries and the Dr. assures me she is asleep.

Muzzle is tied and Dr. leaves the safety of my bedroom. (There is no punchline coming.)

Without moving her from the courtyard, he gives her another shot of something, and then proceeds to drain her ear with a needle. I must hold her head gently but firmly in place so that the needle will not move.

Rascal stirs once and we both jump back. Now I know, we are both afraid. I like having company.

We discover that he has left some cotton in her ear from the first visit and I learn that this is a Sudanese tradtion. Every doctor leaves something inside every patient. Ha Ha.

He cleans off her ear and Rascal is up again. Staggering. My job is to talk to her and hold her in place. No rambling around. Where is the Dr? In my bedroom sitting down.

Two more tasks. An antibiotic shot and some local sterilaztion applied in a spray.

The shot makes her crazy and the spray is purple. I now have a crazy purple dog.

Dr. Khalid leaves, I take a shower. Rascal sleeps.

Welcome to Sudan.



Editors Note: I love Rascal. I will miss Rascal. Rascal is fine now, sleeping again after eating dinner. All is well.

No comments: