7/10/2008

George, I had to love him

I have returned to the house after watching a soccer game from the front courtyard, fenced in of course.

Rascal had spent the evening "playing" with the neighborhood boys who delighted in a number of games.

See how close you can walk to the fence.

See how Rascal charges innocent passerbys and watch them jump, then laugh.

See how Rascal chases empty water bottles like a soccer ball.

See how Rascal likes being petted.

These boys can think of so many things to do with an object they cannot touch.

Since it is now noon on the east coast, I check my emails again and this time, the internet is working.

Just in case any of you might be getting the impression that I am congratulating myself on a job going well. Or, that I have taken the credit for why I am here. Or, that I am racking up brownie points for the big ending, I am not.

To keep me honest, I read The Rev. E. James (Jim) Lewis' Blog, Notes from Under a Fig Tree.

In this writing, Jim calls attention to one of my favorite comedians, George Carlin.

Hearing George's routine as a teenager, I would always look around to see who had heard me laugh. He was so irreverent.

It was such guilty laughter. I was not supposed to think George was funny. But, he was, to me, up until the day he died.

His humor, if I let it, forced me to think about so many issues in such different ways.

I remember hearing his routine about golfcourses and cemeteries. He believed that with all the homeless in the world, why was a little white ball and the dead offered so much space.

At the time, I was heavily involved with the LPGA at the DuPont Country Club which was supporting Ronald McDonald Houses. I remembered initially being indignant that he should attack something doing so much good for so many.

Now, I am not involved and I think was he right?

Well today, Jim reminded me about two other routines that George used.

(Now do not go getting nervous)

The first was the Hippy-Dippy Weather Man.

Weather forecast for tonight: dark.
Continued dark overnight,
With widely scattered light by morning.

The second was one of George's takes on religion.

"Religion has actually convinced people that there’s an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day.

And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.

And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever ‘til the end of time!

But he loves you.”

I find it helpful to laugh at myself every now and then.

No comments: