7/06/2008

Luke 12:48

Disclaimer: I am a child of the 60's and I voted for John F. Kennedy.


That said, go ahead, grab your Bible, I'll wait.


Tick,


Tock.


Tick,


Tock.

I was reading Dana Milbank's blog, Rough Sketch http://blog.washingtonpost.com/roughsketch/, and his posting of Russert's Grand Goodbye where he provided a link to the video of Luke Russert at his dad's, Tim Russert, memorial service at the Kennedy Center.

It was during his rememberance of his father, that this bible verse was quoted as one of Tim Russert's favorites and it is also one of mine.

The first time I remember hearing it, it was said by President John F. Kennedy, though a slightly different version than Tim Russert's.

President Kennedy also said:

Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

Anericans were being asked to provide time and talent in service to others. I had planned on joining the Peace Corp after college. Obviously, goal and reality are some years apart.

The Kennedy's and the Gate's use this bible verse to explain their involvement in social, educational, and environmental causes in our country and around the world.

However, I wanted to know the exact wording in the King James Version of the Bible.

Google to the rescue, and inundation. This phrase is used ALOT.

The first link connected me to a post by Dr. Mark Liberman, a linguist.

Dr. Liberman http://www.en.wikipedica.org/, has researched the many ways this verse has been used and how many ways it has been altered throughout generations.


Oc course, the version that Tim Russert and I like, is gramatically incorrect.

Though the intent remains.

Blessed

An adjective used to describe someone highly favored or fortunate or having good fortune bestowed or conferred upon.

I cannot quite buy into the idea of being highly favored. I tend to think of kings and princesses and concubines. Obviously, too much Hollywood.

However, fortunate or having good fortune that is much easier to accept.

I am fortunate in my family and friends, in having a roof over my head, food of every kind in abundance, steady employment, ownership of property, the ability to travel anywhere, and the expectation that I can practice my faith any where I choose.

I live in a country not divided by war, relatively free of disease, with an education system open to all.

I did not have to leave America and come to Sudan to appreciate these things.

I came to Sudan because of the verse.

What verse?

For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall much be required.

President Kennedy's paraphrasing:

Of those to whom much is given, much is required.

I expect that in the future much more will be required of me, since much has already been given.



No comments: