7/17/2008

Serenity

I am not at peace tonight.

I tried sharing with others why I am not at peace. Peace did not come.

I have been playing some Feng Shui soothing music. Peace has not come.

I had hoped that answering emails would distract my mind. Peace has not come.

I have been playing Spider Solitare and am not winning one game. Peace has not come.

What I need is peace and serenity before retiring for the night.

Serenity and the prayer by Reinhold Niebuhr found on Google.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will;

Peace was not coming because I was trying to turn something I could not change into something I could. Wisdom was not with me earlier in the day.

Many times, I believed that the fact that I felt strongly in an idea, a philosophy, a principle, that in and of itself was to make it so. I have of course, been proved wrong many times.

Today was no exception.

I am left with the reality that the belief that justice should be extended to all does not make it so.

Therefore, peace will not come until I turn off the music, the email and game and acknowledge to God that I am powerless and he needs to handle this.

He needs to find a way to keep this person safe.

He needs to make right this wrong.

He will, but in his time and with his methods.

So, peace has finally come to me tonight.

And, through my tears, I turn this over to him.


Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths. Proverbs 3, 5-6

No comments: