7/02/2008

Deep River Crossings

Deep river
My home is over Jordan
Deep river, Lord
I want to cross over into campground

Deep river
My home is over Jordan
Deep river, Lord
I want to cross over into campground

Oh, don't you want to go
To that gospel feast
That promised land,
Where all is peace

The composer and lyricist of this Negro Spiritual are unknown.

Hearing this sung affects me spiritually, emotionally and physically.

Just copying the lyrics into the blog are shaping my morning.

I have heard it sung by Paul Robeson and Barbara Streisand. There is a great version performed in Japan and on an internet Christian Cafe.

I weep everytime, but I am never sure why?

I have had many deep river thoughts here in Khartoum. Many want to cross over into print.

However, standing on this river bank one does not make that crossing easily, if at all.

Crossing can be dangersous not only for the crosser, but those you leave behind.

I have made the decision that this river will be crossed upon my return.

I am not willing to endanger those I leave behind.

No comments: