7/06/2009

Day One as a Legislative Aide

It is 5:29PM here in Anaheim. I have been awake since 4 AM EST and running now on coffee. The weather is beautiful, but the landscape reminds me of Florida.

The Hilton is awash in Episcopalians. All sorts, all sizes, ages, nationalities. The Super Shuttle was filled to the brim, with Judy ( in the middle of this picture)from Western MO, Brian from MO, someone from MA and TN. Still it is amazing how small the world really is.

Entering the hotel, pulling along luggage, I literally ran into Walt and LaVerne Cheatham. They arrived yesterday and are getting their bearings regarding time changes.

I checked into my room. Since I arrived first, I got my pick of the beds. Took a shower and headed to Starbucks. No surprise there, but I was dragging. Traveling to the coast these days does not feature a movie and food.

My first meeting began at 2 PM for Committee Chairs, Committee Secretaries and Legislative Aides. The Presiding Bishop and the President of the House of Deputies were present for the installation of these positions. An overflowing meeting room with lots of chatter.

An old acquaintance of mine, Linda Curtis, is also an Aide (her husband is a Deputy) and we had a few minutes to re-connect prior to the meeting. The picture is of Cecily Sawyer-Harmon and Del Glover, also an Aide. I ran into his wife The Rev. Linda Grenz in the elevator.

Bishop Wright was also in attendance at the meeting. It was amazing that there were four Episcopalians in that room.I learned alot at this first meeting. There are two co-chairs, one from the House of Deputies and one from the House of Bishops. They meet together, discuss together and vote together, but separately. All business starts in the Committees. And, I learned that I will be moving around a lot. My pedometer is attached and in good working order.

The meeting ended at 4 PM and my first assignment was to discover where the Committee would be meeting at 8 AM tomorrow and call Lynn, the Co-Chair, with the information.

That led me to the Convention Center, first and second floors. WOW. HUGE

These are pictures of the area between the Hilton and the Center. Disney Land is the other side.

At the "Special Visitors" registration, I ran into The Rev. Tom and Janet Kerr and The Rev. Anna Waid. They informed me that Mrs. Chris Brennan Lee, my roommate, had arrived safely.


To determine the meeting room, up to the second floor of the Center to Room 204B. The Secretariate for the House of Bishops and Legislative Aides. And Copiers, and Archives. I retrived the information, we are back to the Hilton, called the Chair, and returned to the room to write.

Then dinner with the Bishop, the deputation and volunteers at McCormicks and Schmicks.

This was arranged by The Rev. Ruth Kirk, first clergy alternate, with help from Mary Ann Brillhart. Good time and a special dedication toast to Mrs. Peggy Ann Delaplane, longtime deputy and alternate for the Diocese of Delaware.


Peace, Shalom, Salam

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Judy, great to see you there at GC76, greet everybody, and a special hug to Danny Glover (sorry, not the movie star Episcopalian, but Del Glover. Benjamin+