7/07/2009

Day Two Across the Street from Disney Land

I took theday off and went to the Michael Jackson Memorial Service.

Not.

No, today started with a Committee meeting at 7:30 AM. My committee is the Consecration of Bishops. The two currently before the Committee are South Dakota and Long Island. Tomorrow, they might take up another.

The orientation for new deputies, scheduled for 8 AM was canceled. This was considered odd, since 40% of those attending are newbies.

The co-chairs assisted me in walking by sending me looking for tables, flip charts, more copies. I ran into the Revs. Wade and Hinton, as I ran back and forth.

The meeting ended at 10:15 though my training continued until noon.

Then I headed to the Budget and Finance. Needed a whole floor for this meeting. Lots of voices for continuing support for the Millenium Development Goals, Youth, Native Ministries. If it were up to me, sell the furniture for mission. (I am biased.) In attendance were Walt Cheatham, Debby Layton, (they are standing along the back wall) AnnWade, Cecily Sawyer-Harmon, and Mark Harris.

I learned, listening to our Youth, that 80% of those attending this Convention are over the age of 65. Yikes. I am a youngster. Here are some of them sitting across the way from me.









Then I set off to the Convention Center.


I am collecting buttons to show support for some ministries. I currently wear Support ERD, Love Your Earth, GIVE to the Episcopal Church, Older Adult Ministries, and Vote Yes for A138. And, I stopped for some Bishop's Blend coffee at the ERD booth.







To say nothing of the Convention Hall. Think of a ministry the TEC does, or associated with the church, priests or laity. They are there.

Part of the fun about gatherings like these is meeting people that you haven't seen in a while. That is what I witness as I move around. People hugging and reconnecting in lobbies, the loooooooooooong line at Starbucks, in elevators, hallways and escalators.

Tonight, back to the Committee meeting at 6:30 and working until 9 PM.

Peace, Shalom, Salam





No comments: