7/12/2009

Overload

It has been a couple of days since the last time I blogged. There is way too much to see, hear and do at General Convention, even without attending Disneyland.

Days are filled with Committee meetings, sitting in on the House of Deputies or House of Bishops, visiting the Exhibit Center, networking, visiting old friends, and yes, watching Yankee games.

Nights have been as busy as the days.

There was the receptions for everything, World Mission, Credo, Seminaries, ECW, UTO, Missionaries, International guests, Camps and Conference Centers, to name a few. Most are located at the Marriott or Hilton. The deputation makes their way back and forth.

Then, at night there are also workshops about the Public Narrative. There are nay sayers, but I love stories. New stories can make me laugh and cry. My friend, The Very Rev. Oran Warder was a great story teller.

I had heard through the grapevine that Archbishop Daniel Deng Bul from the Province of Sudan had arrived in the US. My friend Keith Brown, shown here had gone to the airport to pick up His Grace and his wife. I awaited in anticipation. Old friends on this side of the Atlantic and across this great country.

So, around 5 PM Chris Brennan Lee and I headed over to the Marriott for the World Mission reception, paid our $10 as a donation to offset costs and headed inside. I saw several people that I knew and made introductions, including the Rev. David Copley, Head of Mission Personnel and the person that first uttered the words, " I need a CPA in Sudan." The Presiding Bishop was going to start off the festivities.I spoke with members of the deputations from Taiwan, Honduras, and the Philippines. Also in attendance were representatives from AFRECS, American Friends of the Episcopal Church of Sudan.

I was delighted to know that Finley Middleton, serving in Liberia, was in attendance. His diocese had paid for his airfare back for convention. Finley and I have an email friendship and to meet him here in Anaheim was exciting. Here is his picture with David Copley.

As it turned out, it took the Archbishop and his wife three hours to clear customs. Such hospitality. They arrived exhausted and headed straight for their room. Seeing these old friends would have to wait.

The highlight of the evening for Christina was this picture.

No comments: