7/04/2009

So Noisy, So American

Oh what a difference a year makes.

We, the USA, is so noisy and beautiful.

Last year, I sat in silence trying to imagine the 4th celebrations.

Oh, how glorious they would be.

Stirring patriotic music. Full orchestras and vocalists.

Baseball, Yankees especially, where people put their right hands over the hearts, men romove baseball caps and all sing the Star Spangled Banner.

Fireworks splashing loudly and beautifully across the sky.

Neighbors barbecuing, swimming in pools. Laughter.

When I was growing up we all headed to the Tarrytown County Club, sat on the golf course and watched the display. We always went in pajamas so that we could fall asleep on the way home.

But, what I had in Sudan was quiet.

Tonight it is so different.

What a great and glorious 4th.

The Boston Pops, the NY Philharmonic and the Macy's barges in the Hudson, Philly and the lighting of the bridge. And, Wilmington.

I used to drive down Route 13 and sit on the side of the road and watch.

Tonight, I sit and type and watch and listen.

Listen, with a big grin across my face.

OOH, AHHHHHHH, OHHHHHHHHHH

No comments: