7/11/2009

Sudan Surprise

Wandering around the Exhibit Hall I have already become accustomed to what and who I might see. However, I was not prepared for several surprises.

I had wandered down to the AFRECS booth, American Friends of the Episcopal Church of Sudan, in order to introduce myself to individuals that I knew only through emails. I was speaking with Buck Blanchard (VA) when I looked up and spied a familiar face.

Coming down the aisle was The Rev. Joanna Udal, the priest who was on sabbatical in England and the priest for whom I house sat while in Khartoum Sudan.

Rascal's owner. Surprise #1.

Both of us uttered each others names, quickly followed by hugs and a few tears. Neither of us could believe that the other was standing in front of the other.

I knew what I was doing a General Convention, but what was she? Then I remembered. Joanna had left working for the Archbishop of Sudan and gone to work for the Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams. It now made sense.

We quickly caught up with each other as she walked in the wake of the Archbishop greeting people at specific booths, UTO and then Navajoland. It was at this latter booth that we caught up with him.

Then Joanna did something so unexpected, surprise #2.

Joanna uttered the words, " You must meet him." "Who?" "His Grace."

Seconds latter with his hands clasping mine, Joanna is telling him our story, one that shared Sudan, Rascal, neighbors, the church of Sudan, and her house. I think I managed something about an honor to meet him, and what a wonderful person Joanna was. Pictures were taken, and a photographer took a picture of my identity badge, muttering something about The Living Church.



Sometimes I wonder whose life I am leading.

No comments: