7/08/2009

Public Narratives

Last night, I discovered two types of public narrative.

The second, not the first discovered, was realizing that there is no public discourse between a Yankee Fan from Delaware and Texas Ranger Fans from Dallas, TX. Try as I may, there was not going to be civilized discourse over a shared beer.

The first, was spoken about yesterday afternoon Introduction to Mission conversation through Public Narrative.

The Rev. Lauren Stanley quoted the Rev. Michael Pipkin in today's Center Aisle :

Public narrative is a discernment process. I tell you my story, I connect it to the wider community story, and I tell you what I think we're called to do about it right now. I call you to action....We talk about values, choice points and what values underlie that choice. Those values connect with the wider community values>

Dr. Marshall Ganz, from Harvard University's Kennedy School, told his story and what led him to be involved in this form of discussion and action.

What I heard was that through Conflict could come Reconciliation and therefore, Hope.

On Thursday Convention will receive training on how to formulate the Story of Us/Self, Sunday the Story of US, and then on Monday, the Story of Now. The training will assist us in learning how to link these three stories in two minutes.

YIKES.

No comments: