4/24/2008

Nostalgia

The lunch time hour started out as usual. Gathering up bank deposits and mail.

Getting into Tweedy Bird and heading up Concord Pike, towards Saladworks.

However, I was craving something else.

A hamburger from the Charcoal Pit? Thank goodness someone's better judgment prevailed.

Season's Pizza, Taco's (notice the theme here? I do not eat meat)

Once I dropped the mail off, I found that I kept driving up Route 202, past Saladworks, and into Pennsylvania.

(For those that live in this area or have lived in this area, you will recognize what I describe).

It is a beautiful day here today. Spring has sprung so the saying goes. It is a wonderful time to be in the northeast.

As I drove north, I smelled spring: mulch and flowering bushes. And the trees, either decked in flowers or newly budding green. All different shades of green.

I silently thanked God for traffic lights. Slowing me down, making me witness, watch and listen.

These past weeks have been filled with things to do, marching from one agenda item to another.

Today, God took me on a different path.

I was remembering. Route 202 and Baltimore Pike used to be the area that D and I would visit regularly over 30 years ago. Styers Nursery. In between all the new homes and shopping centers, were the smaller businesses that I remember from long ago.

However, the intersection of Baltimore Pike and 322 was so changed I almost missed it. Here D worked for Westinghouse and we lived in Aston. K was not yet born.

Heading down Route 322, I passed the golf course where Bob taught me to play, when I worked for my CPA firm. Here was the vet that we used for all our animals whether we lived in PA or NJ.

From 322 I moved onto Route 452, south of Aston and heading for I-95 south. This intersection was so familiar to me. Down this road was were my friend from church lived. She watched K when I went back to work.

Farther down the road, the Warlocks played with their toy bikes.

I passed by Rock Manor Golf course, the Wilmington Skating Club, through Brandywine School District where J works. Here again was a part of Delaware that I used to know well.

Finally, back onto Concord Pike south and back to the office.

I had spent an hour traveling and had come full circle.

What I had been hungry for was provided.

I had been lamenting that I would miss Spring... and I almost did.

No comments: