4/02/2008

What A Difference A Day Makes

What A Difference A Day Makes.

The version of this song, by Dinah Washington in 1959, has been playing in my head since yesterday. I can hear her voice so clearly. The words and music are by Maria Grever & Stanley Adams.

March 31 - more than a month before I leave.

April 1 - I leave in a month. What a difference a day makes.

I garden, a lot. My neighbors ask do I ever stop? No, it helps me remain sane. It connects me to God. The digging and planting, the feel of the wet earth in my hands. One plant, planted among others planted before, becomes a garden. A community.

In addition, the phrase April showers bring May flowers has always brought anticipation. The thrill of seeing that what has been buried rises again for another year. The garden changing from dormancy to life. Color. Home Depot's garden department.

Yesterday, the realization hit me that I will not see May this year in Delaware. The colors will be seen by the house sitter. And wet earth is traded for desert.

The anticipation for me now becomes: what new colors will I see. How is color brought into the desert? What new type of garden can be created for two months in Khartoum?

And, another reminder last night. Thunder storms in April in Delaware. The sound of rain. The sight of lightening striking. Sounds and sights I will not hear in another month. In gratitude, I turned the TV off, raised the blinds, and watched and listened.

And gave thanks.

No comments: