5/23/2008

AMVETS and Vespas

For those of you reading this in the States, your mind has immediately registered the not-for-profit agency American Veterans or AMVETS.

Not here in Khartoum.

AMVETS is the name given to smaller, or mini, mini vans that are one of four means of, traversing the streets and cities of Khartoum, unless you have your own vehicle.

Vespas are a three-wheeled, open-sided mini taxi with a roof.

This being Friday, all of Khartoum's government offices are closed ,as is the ECS.

Having spent a rough half night without AC, due to a lack of running water, I was not going to stick around here after washing clothes.

Where to go?

Someplace with AC and coffee. Back to Momen, pronounced Momoon. Go Fig.

So, I got dressed, walked up to the intersection of 41 and Cemetery Road.

The first two Vespia taxi drivers looked lost when I showed the menu and address, even though the proprietor swore that everyone knew Momen.

Spoke with an African gentleman, as opposed to Arab, and asked where I should stand to catch a ride.

Across the street and do not pay more that 4 pounds.

Found an AMVET. He took me there. I paid 5. He left. I walked inside. They were closed.

Try to ascertain that fact from two security guards changing into their work clothes all the time saying, no speak English.

Back outside to find another ride.

Here the public buses actually call to you to ride their bus and you have to wave them away.

Compare that to Wimington, where they could care less if you get on before the door closes.

So I pick up another AMVET and return home. Ten pounds poorer, but more importantly, I had done this without the assistance of anyone else.

After I got through patting myself on the back, I saw my cell phone on the bed. Yep.

I had left it at home. Enough of patting myself on the back.

Either way, I was not spending the day inside this little compound.

So, onto Google to look to see whether there might be an Ex-pat restaurant guide for Khartoum.

There was.

I remembered the gentleman from the plane recommending OZONE. I thought this was an area in the city.

No, it serves Coffee, baked goods, sandwiches.

It sits in what they call the old Coca Cola Bottle Circle/Roundabout.

I remember passing by it a number of times and remember gardens and large trees.

So, off I go again.

This time, I hail a Vespa.

Within 5 minutes I am there.

Heaven outdoors.

Since they do not carry Iced Coffee, my waitor is astute enough to bring me a large cup of ice, a cup of coffee and a small amount of milk.

Ala, Easy Rider, I have Iced Coffee with an apple and banana muffin..

Cool water is spraying continually from the trees and up from the ground.

I read and people watch for about two hours.

Then, into the bakery for some small rolls and home.

By Vespa.

Still no water.

But, Rascal comes inside.

I blog.

And as you begin another day, I will take a nap.

Only to wait for water and cooler temperatures, of course.

No comments: