5/30/2008

The Waiting Game

I must be channeling Forest Whitacker. I thought that he had starred in the movie, The Waiting Game.

So, I Googled him on Wikipedia and voila.

He starred in The Crying Game and directed Waiting to Exhale.

Doesn't matter.

Yesterday and today, I am starring in The Waiting Game.

I am the star, the producer but, not the director.

There are lots of directors, and I am kept waiting to say my lines.

Yesterday, I relearned the lesson of Sudan.

If you have an appointment for 10 AM, it really means 1 PM.

The water pump on/off switch was not working properly. So a phone call to landlord.

Landlord as Director #1.

The landlord is a policeman, whose wife owns the property, but here you never speak to the wife for business.

He had made an appointment with an electrician to meet him at 10 AM. The landlord arrived, speaking only Arabic and conversed with Sami.

No electrician. New appointment 1 PM. I asked to make sure that did not mean 3 PM.

I had to stay and monitor putting Rascal in the house, since she is very "nervous" acting and keeps running at people barking and snarling.

So no work. Just waiting.

Finally, the electrician arrives.

Director #2, He has me running to turn faucets on and off once he gets the pump running., After about an hour, the problem is fixed.

Two hours later, the pump dies.

Luckily, I now have extra water stored so that I can run the AC. Who cares about cooking.

Today, I wait for Sami to wake up. I need to get his electrician friend to look at the pump.

Director #3.

He hates the dog, so Rascal has eaten more cookies thrown into the house as bait, than he would normally get in a week.

Pump needs to be replaced. No problem, right.

Today is Friday.

All businesses must be closed by 12:30 PM or they face a fine if they are open during mid-day prayers.

Director #4.

Tito's grandmother died on Tuesday. He wants me to come to the prayer service being held at 3PM. But, I have no idea how to get there.

So, I am waiting for Rahela to call to see if she is going. That way we could meet up and travel together.

Another wait.

I feel like a teenager without a license to drive. I now remember what it was like having to wait on someone else for a ride or directions etc.

Yuck.

Waiting I can handle. Being a teenager?

No comments: