5/08/2008

Calls to Prayer

I knew that I would like this.

Hearing across the breeze the call to prayer.

To be present to God.

To hear the everyday witness to God.

The first couple of days, I actually thought that traffic would stop. That drivers would get out of their cars and begin praying on mats they carried everywhere.

Shops would close for that 20-30 mintues. No coffee, tea or water purchsed.

No movement other than the sound of prayers and the up and down.

That did not happen.

On the other hand, those in the service industries are expected to "close" to pray. Resume after.

Of course, working at All Saints Cathedral does not necessarily put you in a place to see what happens during the call to prayer.

We are still working, or riding, or purchasing.

Tomorrow, Friday, is a non-working day. Here in Khartoum, in northern Sudan, the weekend is Friday and Saturday. People resume working on Sunday.

Tomorrow all government offices will be closed. So, we are closed as well.

This I do not understand, since how many goverment offices might we need at the Cathedral.

So tomorrow, I will have one day of my weekend, and the next day on Sunday.

I will work on Saturday.

When I travel to Juba, it will revert back to working Monday-Friday.

But, I digress.

Call to prayer.

I cannot imagine whipping out the BCP everytime the call goes out to worship.

Instead, I will take the time to be thankful to God.

Thankful for my family and friends.

Thankful for my home, work, playtimes.

Thankful for my cats and Tom who is looking after the cats.

Thankful for SsAM.

Thankful for this opportunity.

I might even go so far to say, that a call to be thankful might be a good thing no matter where you live or what you believe in or not believe in.

Thanks.

No comments: