5/16/2008

Sudan Firsts

The past few days have included a number of firsts for me in Sudan.

Wednesday night I went to dinner with other ex-pats, they from the UK. We went to a restaurant that had real AC.

And, PIZZA, SALAD BAR. Heaven in Sudan.

Then right across the hall to a “Starbucks” Internet Cafe.

Great four hours, filled with conversations about politics, religion, mission work, families

Yesterday, I installed the financial software, Quickbooks, on the Finance Department Computer, then hooked Tito, the financial assistant, and my driver, etc. up to the Internet. Set him up with an email account with YAHOO. A BIG first for the Provincial Office.

Send him a line at tito.angelo@yahoo.com. K. sent him his first from PA,, USA.

On Saturday, we will start learning Quickbooks. He is very bright and catches on quickly.

Nicholas gets his email account on Saturday, kicking and screaming all the way. But, since he now has a 3 month old daughter, he needs to learn now. That might be another first.

Nicholas kept Tito at work until 7 PM last evening, which meant he kept me. Not again.

While waiting for them, I watched my first African wedding at the Cathedral. Great stuff.

And it drizzled, in Khartoum, before the wedding . Like a kid, I was standing outside arms set for flying, letting the drops land. So cool and refreshing.

That afternoon, another first. I watched an Episcopal priest, whip a mentally ill man, in the courtyard of the Cathedral, where family and friends were waiting for the bride and groom.

Too much for me to watch. Culture shock. A priest. Blessed are.....

This morning, another first.

I washed my sheets and some clothes by hand. Geez.

I did this at 6:30 AM so that the sun would not be up. The sheet was dry in less that ½ hour. The socks are still hanging there.

The AC man was back. Determined it was the “chair” that holds the rod for the blower. Another 50 pounds.

I was going to clean the front courtyard, but that would require a shower and the water station has been turning the water off and on all day. I am not going to chance that.

So, another first. I will pay my bills from Khartoum and see just how well this works out.

Keep praying for Sudan.

And I learned a new phrase for when "things" happen. Like the AC, or no water, or a wedding to start at 4 PM, whcih starts at 6 PM.

Welcome to Sudan.

No comments: