5/28/2008

Dateline Khartoum - May 28, 2008

I just had to check my mobile phone to know what the date is.

It is a very wierd feeling to be working and in a pattern of life, but to be unaware of the date.

A couple of new experiences since Monday.

I traveled to North Khartoum, which is really quite lovely and older, with Villas as homes and wide streets with trees. So different from the section of town that I live in. I had dinner with the Watson's who were gracious to invite me.

They are in the process of clearing out the freezer. Liz and the boys are leaving for a two month holiday in Kenya. Rob will follow in a month. He first travels to Darfur and then to Juba.

Beautiful home with gardens and grass and a tree house. We ate dinner on the veranda shaded by the trees.

Heading to their home, I saw the White Nile for the first time, as well as the agriculture fields along the banks that will be flooded in a little while.

On the way home, I crossed over the Blue Nile and saw a brief glimpse of the convergance of the two. Really beautfiul.

Of course, what trip home would not be complete without a flat tire on one of the bridges. So, as Rob changed the tire, I directed traffic 20 feet back.

Holding up a white bag, I was asking drivers to alternate merging into one lane. These crazy people actually paid attention to me.

Me, a White American Woman in PANTS, with no head covering telling them what to do. They kept yelling, Good Evening, Good Job, Hello, Salom, etc.

Needless to say, I had a better time than Rob.

On Friday, Tito plans to take me site seeing. I will see the Mahdji's Tomb, Gordon's Palace and anything else I want.

At four, I am to join Rob for a party on an island in the Nile. Each Friday, which is a non-working day in Khartoum, people congregate on this island to picnic, etc. Then they swim in the Nile.

No big deal, right ?

Well, they swim in their clothes. No bathing suits allowed in northern Sudan.

I have found the beach I want to go to. Clothes not bathing suits.

So, I will wade in, then dry off (probably in 30 seconds) and then wade in again.

I will be taking lots of pictures and posting them soon.

And I have learned a new phrase, which I use everyday.

Mahay Ish Wah Mahay Moyya. Spelling ,of course, is phonetic.

One Bread and One Water.

The bread is for the do and the water for me.

I have been saying, when going to work in the rickshaw, Mahey wah lizzeeze.

Loosely translated it means One and Delicious, the famous restaurant here in this part of town.

It also means that you can go to the supermarket of your choice and order a bag of bread and a bottle of water in Arabic.

Mange, Mange.

No comments: