5/11/2008

Neighbors

Surprises keep coming.

No church at all today

While there may be services, the 6PM English service I cannot attend.

I have asked Robin about going and he recommends that I stay put, due to the fact that the service would let out in the dark and the roads are to be kept clear.

I learn a little more of what happened yesterday from Robin. The city north of Khartoum had it's electric tower hit so they have lost electricity and water.

Two of the ECS workers live there. One made it home and witnessed the fighting right outside his compound. The other, with his family, is waiting to see if they would be opening the bridge to traffic. If so, they were heading home. If not, staying the night with Robin.

I have discovered that keeping the main roads clear is like saying keep I95 clear. Everyone takes to the back roads. It is the same here.

The back roads in this case go through the soccer field in the front of the house. Lots of traffic.

So what to do with my energy.

I take to cleaning out the front patio area. The bush branches snap and therefore do not need clippers. When I am done, I can see the front door from the street.

Next the garbage is taken away from all the bushes and put in front so that people remember it is there. I cannot figure out what people do with all this trash.

I sweep up old leaves and lots of sand/dirt. Out the front.

Then water which I used to water the new tree in front of the house. More to water down the leaves and dirt I have swept into the street. More to clean the broom, more for my hot feet, hands.

I am definitely sweaty. What I cannot figure out is why I am not sunburned.

This puzzles me.

Today, I speak with Marta and determine that I am older than her by 4 months. This she cannot believe. She thought I was in my forties. Ah. She swears I am not telling the truth.

Her son Sami has never married because he has no house, no steady job, a mother to support, etc. Sad.

After showering, checking the BBC and email, I don the skirt, shirt and walk to the corner market, two doors down.

I only have a 50lb note.

They give me credit I owe them 6 lbs.

I am part of the neighborhood and it has only been 6 days.

No comments: