5/05/2008

Dateline Khartoum

.
It is hot.

However, I have suceeded in accomplishing alot today, by Khartoum Summer Time or KST for short.

I am grateful that Joanna does not have thermostat. That would only make it worse.

My trip was uneventul until I arrived in Khartoum, a beautiful city by air and at night.

As you read this, remember my sense of humor, my love of surprises, and the comedy that I find in the absurd.

Landing at night you are spared the oven temperatures that arrive by day. I walked through customs, without a problem. There was no VIP bus to the terminal so I was not concerned that Sapana Arona was not there to pick me up.

Nor was I concerned when the porter and I found all of my luggage.

I became concerned when I borrowed a phone from another porter, called Sapana and found out that he thought I was arriving Tuesday at 12:30 AM.

SURPRISE.

Lots of conversation between Sapana, John (porter who knows Sapana) and porter with phone.

My solution was to get me to a hotel asap. I could shower and hop into bed.

No, that is not the solution my three compadres decided.

Instead, I was to take a taxi to All Saints Cathedral and I would spend the night in one of the rooms at the Bishop's Guesthouse. Simply knock and the door will open.

Knock, knock, knock and knock.

Knock knock knock and knock.

Knock, knock ,knock and jump over wall. (Not me, quit laughing at that mental picture)

Porters disappear. I am left with taxidriver that speaks no English, but I did not have to speak Arabic to get the gist of some of his conversation.

He is annoyed that he had to sit and wait for porters that disappeared. He also liked the idea of a hotel too, but I did not have too much confidence in his hotel choices.

Finally, 2:30 AM and we have access to the grounds, but no room. All luggage removed from taxi.

Conversation about taxi charge. Fee is now doubled due to waiting. YIKES

Plus, all the time using the porter's phone has depleted his minutes. YIKES.

Caching, caching.

The room is hot, filled with desks.

It is at this point that I actually thought I might cry.

But, along comes another individual that takes all my luggage back to the guesthouse. I am offered a very spacious room with AC.

No food, no water, but AC.

And a toilet and shower.

So I hop into bed.

Cannot sleep.

Should blog.

Can't no computer, no internet.

So, pen to paper I remove all thoughts from the trip.

I awake to knocks on the door at 10 AM and the room is freezing.

Sapana has been to the house very early, they let me sleep.

Robin ( English ) and Sapana arrive to welcome me, apologize.

We talk as I eat a piece of bread with Jam and more water.

Life is good.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Judi, I'm glad you arrived, safely if a bit disorganized. Is that the house 'doggie' in the pic? If so, I will send my Lizzie's picture to encourage Sudan-American canine friendships.

I am not envying you the heat but I am envying the journey! Congrats!

Maureen