5/22/2008

Summer Reading

Believe it or not, I have actually had some time for reading during this summertime in Khartoum.

Also, I have not found a movie theatre in this city either. So, no drinking, no movies, no TV.

READ.

Here is what I have finished so far.

Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz. Mystery. I give it 3 books.

The Law of Similars by Chris Bohjalian who also wrote Midwives. I love his work and he did not let me down with this one. I give it 4 and 1/2 books.

The Mission Song by John leCarre suthor of so many, The Spy Who Came In From The Cold and The Constant Gardener to name just two. LOVED IT, especially since I am currently in Africa. (A little teaser there) 4 and 1/2 book.

Simple Genius by David Baldacci. Very timely and I love the couple that are the stars of this and others of his books. CIA, Special OPS, FBI. All bumbling along. Makes my day. LONG BOOK. 4 books.

The NO. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. This is the first in her series of mystery stories interweaving life in Botswana. Great stuff if you want to get a feel for life in that country. Easy Read 3 books. But remember, if you get hooked on Precious, you will want to read more.

The Echoing Green The Untold story of Bobby Thomson, Ralph Branca and The Shot Heard Round The World by Joshua Prager. What you say? Well, I must admit that I am a baseball fan, a New Yorker and it did happen in 1951, the year I was born and Keith Olbermann did recommend it. But it is a fascinating read and I am learning so much and loving it. I take it in segments. There is only so much I can read at a time without adding a little fluff stuff. I will score it after I am done.

Next, I will tackle Ian Rankin's Resurrection Men. Why, because I found it in the house. and the house is my library

What are you reading and could recomment to others? Post a comment and I will publish it.

1 comment:

Judi said...

K.F.: I have just finished reading Baldacci's newest, "The Whole Truth". If I understand your rating; I would give it 4.5 books. Another that I've read in the past week, "The Finder", by Colin Harrison (a new author for me) is a thriller and I would give it a 5. I am reading my way through author Vince Flynn. I am next on the list for his "Executive Power". His espionage theme is believable. J. F. recommends "The Coldest Winter" by David Halberstam. It is a historical account of the beginning of the Korean War.